In 1933, Welsh reporter Gareth Jones is looking for his next big story. The job assignment brings him to Moscow, where he meets American journalist Ada Brooks who reveals to him the truth about the “Soviet utopia” and Jones starts to put all pieces together.
Hiding from the Soviet intelligence agencies and facing deadly threats, bit by bit he uncovers the truth about the tragedy of the Ukrainian people: the Holodomor, censorship, conspiracies and mass repressions. Later the Gareth’s work finds a home as the basis of scathing allegory Animal Farm by the famous writer George Orwell.
- Director: Agnieszka Holland
- Producer: Klaudia Smieja, Stanislaw Dziedzic, Egor Olesov, Angus Lamont, Andrea Chalupa
- Director of photography: Tomasz Naumiuk
- Cast: James Norton, Vanessa Kirby, Peter Sarsgaard, Joseph Mawle, Kenneth Cranham, Yakiv Tkachenko, Oleg Drach, Volodymyr Fedoruk, Anna Shaydyuk, Anastasia Chala, Alina Kovalska, and others
- Scriptwriter: Andrea Serdaru Barbul
- Costume director: Aleksandra Staszko
- Production designer: Grzegorz Piatkowski
- Music by: Antoni Komasa-Lazarkiewicz
- Release in Ukraine: 2019
- Distributor: MMD UA, FILM.UA